We have three different recommended reading lists this year. Southern Star Award Books are for students in grades 3 - 5 that our very own MISD Elementary Librarians have chosen for your reading pleasure. The Texas Library Association's Bluebonnet Award Books list is for students in grades 3 - 5. For students in grades Kindergarten through 2nd grade, click on the Texas 2X2 List. Happy reading!
The librarians of Midlothian ISD have created our very own recommended reading list.
Click here to visit the Southern Star Website.
Each year, 20 books are chosen for the Texas Bluebonnet Award Master List. Schools and libraries around the state participate in the program, encouraging students to read a minimum of five books from the list. The author of the book receiving the most votes wins the Texas Bluebonnet Award (TBA) which is presented at the Texas Bluebonnet Award Luncheon held during the TLA Annual Conference in the spring.
1. Act by Kayla Miller. (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books for Young Readers, 2020).
2. The Best of Iggy by Annie Barrows, illustrated by Sam Ricks. (G. P. Putnam & Sons Books
for Young Readers, an Imprint of Penguin Random House, 2019).
3. Black Brother, Black Brother by Jewell Parker Rhodes. (Little Brown & Company Books for
Young Readers, 2020).
4. The Canyon’s Edge by Dusti Bowling. (Little Brown & Company Books for Young Readers,
5. Efrén Divided by Ernesto Cisneros. (Quill Tree Books, an Imprint of HarperCollins
6. The Elephant’s Girl by Celesta Rimington. (Crown BFYR, an imprint of Random House
Children's Books, 2020).
7. Follow Those Zebras: Solving a Migration Mystery by Sandra Markle. (Millwood, an
Imprint of Lerner Publications, 2020).
8. A Hatful of Dragons: and More Than 13.8 Billion Other Funny Poems by Vikram Madan
(WordSong, an Imprint of Boyds Mills & Kane, 2020).
9. Honeybee: The Busy Life of Apis Mellifera by Candace Fleming, illustrated by Eric
Rohmann. (Neal Porter, an imprint of Holiday House, 2020).
10. The Incredibly Dead Pets of Rex Dexter by Aaron Reynolds. (Little Brown & Company
Books for Young Readers, 2020).
11. Lexi Magill and the Teleportation Tournament by Kim Long. (Running Press Kids, an
Imprint of Perseus Books, an Imprint of Hachette, 2019).
12. The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read by Rita Lorraine Hubbard,
illustrated by Oge Mora. (Schwartz & Wade, an imprint of Random House Children's
13. Our Friend Hedgehog: The Story of Us by Lauren Castillo. (Alfred A. Knopf BFYR, an
imprint of Random House Children's Books, 2020).
14. Scary Stories for Young Foxes by Christian McKay Heidicker, illustrated by Junyi Wu.
(Henry Holt, an Imprint of Macmillan Books, 2019).
15. The Secret Garden of George Washington Carver by Gene Barretta, illustrated by Frank
Morrison. (Katherine Tegan, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers, 2020).
16. Sharuko: el arqueólogo Peruano Julio C. Tello / Peruvian Archaeologist Julio C. Tello by
Monica Brown, illustrated by Elisa Chavarri. (Children’s Book Press, an Imprint of Lee &
Low Books, 2020).
17. Someplace to Call Home by Sandra Dallas. (Sleeping Bear Press, 2019).
18. Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky by Kwame Mbalia. (Rick Riordan Presents, an
imprint of Disney Hyperion, 2019).
19. Ways to Make Sunshine by Reneè Watson, illustrated by Nina Mata. (Bloomsbury
Children’s Book, 2020).
20. Words on Fire by Jennifer A. Nielsen. (Scholastic Press, an Imprint of Scholastic Books, 2019).
Here is the list for the Current List of Texas 2X2 books. These books are recommended for students from the age of 2 years to 2nd grade. Read at least 10 of these books and you qualify to vote for your favorite.
Boxitects by Kim Smith. Clarion Books.
Every Night is Pizza Night by J. Kenji López-Alt. Illustrated by Gianna Ruggiero. W.W. Norton.
Facts vs. Opinions vs. Robots by Michael Rex. Nancy Paulsen Books.
Federico and the Wolf, by Rebecca Gomez. Illustrated by Elisa Chavarri. Clarion Books.
First Day Critter Jitters by Jory John. Illustrated by Liz Climo. Dial Books for Young Readers.
Hike by Pete Oswald. Candlewick Press.
I Am Every Good Thing by Derrick Barnes. Illustrated by Gordon C. James. Penguin.
Louis by Tom Lichtenheld. Illustrated by Julie Rowan-Zoch.
Packs – Strength in Numbers by Hannah Salyer. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
A Polar Bear in the Snow by Mac Barnett. Art by Shawn Harris. Candlewick Press.
See the Cat – Three Stories About a Dog by David LaRochelle. Illustrated by Mike Wohnoutka. Candlewick Press.
Shapes by Shelley Rotner and Anne Woodhull. Photographs by Shelley Rotner. Holiday House.
Speak Up by Miranda Paul. Illustrated by Ebony Glenn. Clarion Books.
The Three Billy Goats Buenos by Susan Middleton Elya. Illustrated by Miguel Ordóñez. G.P. Putnam’s Sons.
Underground – Subway Systems Around the World by Uijung Kim. Cicada Books Ltd.
Up on Bob by Mary Sullivan. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
What About Worms!? by Ryan T. Higgins and Mo Willems. Hyperion Books for Children.
What Do You Do If You Work at the Zoo? by Steve Jenkins and Robin Page. Illustrated by Steve Jenkins. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
The Yawns Are Coming! by Christopher Eliopoulos. Dial Books for Young Readers.
You Matter by Christian Robinson. Atheneum Books for Young Readers.